Statement of Purpose
The purpose of the International Association for Religious Freedom (IARF) is to work for freedom of religion & belief because it is a precious human right that potentially enables the best within our religious lives, or our search for truth or enlightenment, to flourish.
It requires work on three aspects, any of which may constitute the core objective for the IARF membership in a country or region:
- Freedom from oppressive interference or discrimination by the state, government or society’s institutions on the grounds of religion or belief;
- Mutual understanding, respect and the promotion of harmony, or at least “tolerance”, between communities or individuals of different religions or beliefs;
- An essential accountability by religious communities to ensure that their own practices uphold the fundamental dignity and human rights of their members and others.
Thus, IARF works with and for:
- Groups from different religious traditions or beliefs (normally those which share its values);
- Communities suffering from religious persecution or discrimination.